Downtown Coordinator Job Description (Full Time) – Flexible Hours
(Position dependent upon funding constraints)
About us: The Hopewell Downtown Partnership (HDP) was formed in 2007 after the flight of businesses and deterioration of the Downtown began to threaten the integrity of its historical structures and cultural relevance to the city and surrounding areas.
The HDP is on a mission to reverse this trend through implementing the Main Street Four Point Approach, a nationally trademarked model for revitalizing historic downtown districts and one of the most successful economic development models in the country.
We work extensively in small business retention and recruitment activities, building rehabilitation, providing technical assistance to entrepreneurs, and facilitating several grant programs. We also organize festivals, promotions and celebrations throughout the year for merchants and residents of the area. To learn more about our work, click here: //hopewelldowntown.com/about/
About the job:
The Downtown Coordinator, under the general supervision of the Executive Director, is responsible for creating and managing programs and projects that meet the objectives of the Hopewell Downtown Partnership. The Hopewell Downtown Partnership is focused on the revitalization of the historic downtown district of Hopewell, Virginia.
The Downtown Coordinator is an advocate for the Hopewell Downtown Partnership, providing information and background on the goals and accomplishments of the Hopewell Downtown Partnership to business owners, city officials and staff, and other interested persons. The Downtown Coordinator will be a positive and energetic source for the long-term revitalization of downtown Hopewell and will support Main Street throughout the community.
The Downtown Coordinator promotes excellence in design, good business practices, and compliance with office policies and regulations.
As the Hopewell Downtown Partnership has no clerical staff, the Downtown Coordinator is responsible for him/her own clerical duties.
This position offers extensive training and professional development with access to the state and national Main Street Network. This includes yearly conferences and training’s, both within and outside Virginia. This is a great opportunity to build or enhance a career in community/economic development and creative place-making.
Range of Duties:
The Downtown Coordinator’s duties will encompass a variety of tasks. These tasks should be determined by the Executive Director and Downtown Coordinator in writing prior to the commencement of activities. Quarterly evaluations will be based on the pre-determined goals and objectives for the Downtown Coordinator.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Downtown Coordinator will:
1. Be knowledgeable about the four-point Main Street approach to economic revitalization.
2. Provide assistance and management of Main Street committees as directed by the Executive Director.
3. Assist with business retention, expansion, and recruitment, including providing information, expertise, and appropriate referrals to business owners, marketing Hopewell downtown to outside businesses, working with developers and building owners to enhance the quality of retail and commercial space.
4. Attend Board of Directors, committee, sub-committee, and task group meetings as necessary or as indicated by the Executive Director.
5. Manage administration of the Hopewell Downtown Partnership office, including purchasing and maintaining office equipment and supplies, processing mail, filing, and answering emails.
6. Assist with the recruitment, evaluation, and retention of volunteers, including members of the four Main Street committees, special project volunteers, and short-term volunteers.
7. Produce press releases and maintain good relations with the various media in the Hopewell region.
8. Produce and edit a newsletter.
9. Assemble and distribute Board and committee packets (meeting agendas and minutes) when necessary.
10. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, handle submission of complex grant reporting requirements to VA agencies, and provide some support for general grant administration.
11. Reporting to the Director, provide primary administrative support for all Downtown Partnership events. This will involve some evening work. At least six times per year, work on one or both weekend days will be required.
12. Assist with the development and implementation of a fundraising plan
13. Assist with the planning and implementation of multiple events including but not limited to the Hopewell Farmer’s Market, Get Your Butts to Broadway (Pork Butt Festival), Breakfast with Santa, and the Tree Lighting Celebration
14. Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Executive Director.
15. Keep the Hopewell Downtown Partnership website up-to-date
The Hopewell Downtown Partnership seeks a highly organized, self-starting, capable coordinator with incredible attention to detail to help with the day-to-day operations of a very small yet very busy non-profit organization. At least two years of relevant experience is required, and a BA or BS is strongly preferred. An interest and experience in non-profit administration, event planning, urban planning, marketing, graphic design, retailing, fundraising, architecture, and / or small business assistance is also required.
Ability to manage or lead groups of volunteers and build positive business relationships.
Ability to manage large and small projects and meet deadlines.
Excellent written and verbal skills are required; public speaking experience is a plus.
Basic skills with Adobe InDesign (if applicable, please send a PDF work sample of a project you have completed in InDesign), skills with Photoshop and Illustrator also a plus.
Must have general computer skills and be proficient in word processing and spreadsheet applications. Basic understanding of WordPress websites.
Salary is $30,000. This is a full-time position and is grant funded for at least one year. After one year, the position is dependent on future fundraising and grants in order to be sustained. Paid vacation and sick leave, in addition to comp time and flexible hours.
To apply, please complete the short application below and also attach a PDF with your cover letter, resume, and a current writing sample or Adobe InDesign work sample (if applicable). Please include all documents in one PDF. The application deadline is August 2nd, 2019. Applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed. If the form does not show up below, use this link.